rsync ownership problem via ssh?

dmaloy at provide.net dmaloy at provide.net
Thu Oct 24 16:31:03 EST 2002

I am using rsync to sync filesystems from one Solaris
machine to another at a remote site. Everything sync's
fine, except for the ownership preservation. The
permissions all get transferred correctly and so do all the
files, but the ownership always gets changed to whomever I
perform the sync as. I tried this as root and still the
same problem. I am using the -p, -o and -g options to
preserve the permissions, owner and group respectively. The
man page seems to imply that as "root" this works? I have
not found this to be the case.  I am using ssh when
transmitting the data.

Can someone please help?