Using rsync for backup trashes st_atime

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Oct 24 12:52:53 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 05:06:11 -0700, jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws>
wrote in message <20021024050611.B6256 at pegasys.ws>:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 01:19:40PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-10-24 04:04:14 -0700, jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws>
> > wrote in message <20021024040414.A6256 at pegasys.ws>:
> > > On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:16:26PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > > Personally, i think any MUA that depends on atime is broken by design.
> >
> > You're using one of them. Despite that, MUAs come to my mind which might
> > want to use st_atime. But there might exist other applications as well.
> > This is why I care about the issue. My st_atimes will be correct some
> > minutes later (as I receive huge amounts of email), though.
>
> Despite what the manpage says i've not had any problem with
> mutt recognising the presence of new mail or bad
> interactions with assorted biffs or backups.   This is

You can 'mailbox /home/xxx/Mail/yyy' a file to declare it as a
mail-receiving mbox. By pressing 'c', 'TAB', 'TAB', you'll be shown any
mail-receiving mboxes, those with possibly new mails marked as 'N'. This
is IMHO a nice feature, which would requite reading/parsing the mbox
to evaluate if new mail has arrived. Other than that, when pressing 'c',
mutt shortcuts the first mail-receiving mbox with new mail, which is
especially a very nive feature if you've got quite some mboxes...

MfG, JBG

--
   - Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf für
   - einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger