daemon and absolute sym-links

Kirby Bakken kirbyb at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 21 12:38:00 EST 2002

I THINK I've found a bug in rsync.  When running an rsync daemon, absolute
sym-links are not created correctly on the daemon end;  the leading 'slash'
is stripped off.  To 'fix' this behavior, the following 3 changes can be
made (to version 2.5.5):

flist.c:63 add: extern int am_daemon;

flist.c:538 (was 537) modify: if (sanitize_paths && !am_daemon) {

config.h:316 modify: #define RSYNC_VERSION "2.5.6"

I'm incredibly busy (aren't we all....) and don't currently have time to research how to do an 'official' patch, or how to submit official fixes, or
even figure
out if this 'fix' has any side effects.  All I know is that it seems to fix the problem, without creating any other problems....
I'm not quite sure I understand how sym-links are properly created in the other two cases (local rsync, or specific machine rsync), which bothers
me....
If I get a little time, I'll try to research the above....  meanwhile, specific pointers to where this info would help  :-)

Kirby Bakken
ESW Build Architect
Rochester, MN
email: kirbyb at us.ibm.com
ezpage:kirbyb
507-253-4549 / Tie:  553-4549
Fax:  507-253-3495

......one more straw can't possibly matter....