Question on a long filename

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Oct 18 22:36:01 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:58:29AM -0700, Jennifer Lu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How many characters of the file name can be transferred thru rsync?
> 255? I am running rsync on solaris 5.8 machine, I got the following
> error messages:
>
> ERROR: dsync: dsync1:/import/data/ to dsync2:/import/data2/
> mkstemp  failed: File name too long
> rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(578)
>
> The filename in that directory is over 220 characters, is there
> a problem on a long filename?

Clearly there is.  The limit isn't rsync but the OS and
filesystem.

For each file updated rsync uses mkstemp (from the system
libs) to create a temp file using a template of ".%s.XXXXXX"
which should mean that the temp file name will be 8
characters longer than the primary file.

It's been awhile but my reccolection is that the maximum
length of a filename on UFS is 254 characters.  Solaris may
trim that a bit to 252 or less.

The upshot is that the maximum filename length that may be
syncronized is 8 less than the length supported by the
destination filesystem.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt