Mutliple backups into a signle dir

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Oct 18 01:05:01 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 07:09:05PM +0200, Milan Kr?má? wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to make use of rsync for backup purposes. I want to use it with
> the -b switch: it renames older FILE to FILE~ instead of replacing it with
> the newer version. This way, only the newest and the second most recent
> versions of a file are saved. I want to have more versions.
>
> One approach to this can be inpired by --backup-dir operation. I'd
> rather extend the backup functionality to not only add a constant suffix
> (the default ~), but to also rotate-out previous backups as it is common in
> log files rotation (FILE becomes FILE.1 after every FILE.(x) becomes
> FILE.(x+1)). The rotation could be limited by maximal number or age of
> copies.
>
> Is it worth of the work for me to patch the rsync sources by some official
> way, e.g. to design and implement such an extension? I will try it if you
> think it is.
>
> TIA for your opinions.

You might look at dirvish http://www.pegasys.ws/dirvish It
manages a complete rotation schedule with images preserved
for various periods.

Someone else has another tool that is simpler but less
featureful that manages a fixed size image cycle.

With both you get something akin to snapshots so that
restores are very easy.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt