Question on "base directory"

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat Oct 5 23:27:00 EST 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 12:41:55AM +0200, Gregor Waluga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read the manpage, but I got a simple question on the expression "base
> directory" used in the "exclude patterns"-section.
> When I synchronize ie:
>
> rsync -avzu /home/gregor/ notebook:/home/gregor/
>
> and want to use an exclude-pattern: --exclude "/foo", what is the base
> directory?
> The manpage's explanation is following: --exclude "/foo" would exclude a file
> in the base directory called foo
>
> Is the so called "base directory":
> 1) "/" the Root-directory, so that I have to use "/home/gregor/foo/" as the
> correct exclude-pattern (if I do not want to synchronise /home/gregor/foo on
> both machines)
> 2) "/home/gregor" itself, 'cause it is the _base_ of my synchronisation, for I
> used /home/gregor as my starting-point (starting-directory).
>
> Sorry for that question, but it is a little bit mistakeable (or I am so
> stupid). :-)

No. 2.  Using your example the source base directory is
/home/gregor and the destination base directory is
notebook:/home/gregor

No. 1 wouldn't make much sense because then /foo could never
match anything in /home/gregor and we would have difficulty
handling --delete-excludeed where the base directories
differed.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt