rsync 2.5.5 segmentation fault on Linux x86.

Paul Haas paulh at hamjudo.com
Tue Oct 1 16:00:02 EST 2002

On 1 Oct 2002, Erik Enge wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a script which I call from cron.  It basically does some stopping
> of a few services, rsyncs all files to a remote server and then starts
> the services again.  However, rsync segfaults:
>
>   /share/bin/cron.root.backup.sh: line 28: 18453 Segmentation fault      rsync -acx --delete ${_backup_dirs} backup-server::backup-client
>
> If I run rsync from the command-line everything works as expected and no
> segmentation fault.

This isn't specific to rsync.  When I've had cron jobs that fail, but wrk
interactively, I add something like this to the script:

  echo this is try 1 of cron.root.backup.sh on >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug
  date >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug
  printenv >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug
  ulimit -a >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug
  echo the rsync I'll get is >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug
  type rsync >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug
  whoami >> /tmp/backup.sh.$$.debug

Then I run it once interactively and once through cron and compare stuff.

Usually it's pretty obvious which environment variable is the problem.