Changing a directory to a symlink; rsync balks.

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Tue Oct 1 15:15:40 EST 2002

Good day, all,
	I'm using rsync 2.5.4 and a statically linked version of 2.5.5 to
back up my main system to a backup drive (See rsync-backup at
http://www.stearns.org/rsync-backup/ ).
	First, I made a full backup of the system.
	Then, on the main system, I merged the articles in techdocs
to another directory called articles, removed the techdocs directory and
made it a symlink to the articles directory.
	Then I performed another backup.  I get:

delete_file: rmdir(home/wstearns/med/techdocs) : Directory not empty
rsync: symlink "home/wstearns/med/techdocs" -> "articles": File exists

	The backup leaves techdocs as a symlink, incorrectly.

	For reference, the 2.5.4 client is executing:
rsync -aR -e ssh --numeric-ids --delete --delete-after filespecs...
	and the 2.5.5 server is executing:
/usr/sbin/chroot "/backups/$CLIENTNAME/current/" /rsync-static --server -logDtprR --delete --delete-after --numeric-ids . /

	My apologies if this is a faq or handled in 2.5.5 correctly.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Note: This page is best viewed using Ham Explorer 4.0 or better
(if you can can have it) in a resolution of 8x6 folicals, blindfolded
and facing away from the monitor. Preferably with clothes on and a
member of the clergy present."
William Stearns (wstearns at pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at:                        http://www.stearns.org