Include / exclude patterns.

Carlos Molina cmolina at net-uno.net
Thu Nov 28 18:34:43 EST 2002

|Carlos Molina <cmolina at net-uno.net> wrote:

|>Greetings.
|>
|>I'm trying to make some backups using rsync, but I have some questions
|>about it.
|>
|>First, on the receiving side, i make a test with this line.
|>
|>rsync -vv -e ssh --recursive --include-from=include.txt
|>cmolina at www-01:/ /tmp/cmolina
|>
|>On include.txt I have.
|>+ etc
|>+ home/cmolina/source
|>+ home/cmolina
|>+ var/spool
|>- - dev/
|>- - home/cmolina/
|>- - tmp/
|>- - root/
|>- - disk2/
|>- - home/
|>- - usr/
|>- - lib/
|>- - var/
|>- - bin/
|>- - boot/
|>- - dev/
|>- - etc/
|>- - floppy/
|>- - initrd/
|>- - lost+found
|>- - proc/
|>- - opt/
|>- - sbin/
|>- - vmlinuz
|>- - /*
|

|What are you tring to do with the double - signs?

Sorry, it was a type error

|>Note that the source path is /.
|>
|>Well, in resume, I'm trying to bypass the default rsync selection
|>mechanism (include all the objects that aren't specified on the list),
|>because we want to deny (exclude) all filenames, directories,
|>archives, etc, and only permit the files, directories,
|>SUBDIRECTORIES, that we specify on a include file.
|>
|>For example, we want to exclude anything, and only include the
|>following directories (and it's contents)
|>

|>/etc
|>/home/cmolina/source
|>/home/cmolina
|>/var/spool
|

|If you want everything under /home/cmolina, why is /home/cmolina/source
also
|in your list?
|
|Anyway:
|
|+ /etc
|+ /home/cmolina
|+ /var/spool
|- /*

|Max.

Ok, here is my include.txt

+ /etc
+ /home/cmolina
+ /var/log
- - - /*

And  now here is my command and output...
rsync -vv -e ssh --recursive --include-from=include.txt root at www-01:/
/tmp/cmolina

opening connection using ssh -l root www-01 rsync --server --sender -vvr . /
receiving file list ...
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
excluding directory lost+found because of pattern /*
excluding directory root because of pattern /*
excluding directory boot because of pattern /*
excluding directory home because of pattern /*
excluding directory usr because of pattern /*
excluding directory var because of pattern /*
excluding file vmlinuz because of pattern /*
excluding directory tmp because of pattern /*
excluding directory lib because of pattern /*
excluding directory sbin because of pattern /*
including directory etc because of pattern /etc
expand file_list to 8000 bytes, did move
expand file_list to 8000 bytes, did move
excluding directory bin because of pattern /*
excluding directory dev because of pattern /*
excluding directory mnt because of pattern /*
excluding directory proc because of pattern /*
excluding directory floppy because of pattern /*
excluding directory cdrom because of pattern /*
excluding directory initrd because of pattern /*
excluding file .journal because of pattern /*
excluding file vmlinuz.old because of pattern /*
excluding directory disk2 because of pattern /*
excluding file vmlinuz-custom1 because of pattern /*
excluding file snmpd.conf because of pattern /*
excluding file index.html because of pattern /*
excluding file backup.txt because of pattern /*
done
etc/.ViperDB
etc/.pwd.lock
etc/.serial.conf.old
etc/CheckProcess.conf
.
.
.
etc etc

rsync isn't include directories under /home and /var, because it exclude
recursively on /*

IS there a way to manage it...??

Note that source directory on rsync call is /

Thanks a lot.