Include / exclude patterns

Carlos Molina cmolina at net-uno.net
Thu Nov 28 16:25:00 EST 2002

Greetings.

I'm trying to make some backups using rsync, but I have some questions
about it.

First, on the receiving side, i make a test with this line.

rsync -vv -e ssh --recursive --include-from=include.txt
cmolina at www-01:/ /tmp/cmolina

On include.txt I have.
+ etc
+ home/cmolina/source
+ home/cmolina
+ var/spool
- - dev/
- - home/cmolina/
- - tmp/
- - root/
- - disk2/
- - home/
- - usr/
- - lib/
- - var/
- - bin/
- - boot/
- - dev/
- - etc/
- - floppy/
- - initrd/
- - lost+found
- - proc/
- - opt/
- - sbin/
- - vmlinuz
- - /*

Note that the source path is /.

Well, in resume, I'm trying to bypass the default rsync selection
mechanism (include all the objects that aren't specified on the list),
because we want to deny (exclude) all filenames, directories, archives,
etc, and only permit the files, directories, SUBDIRECTORIES, that we
specify on a include file.

For example, we want to exclude anything, and only include the following
directories (and it's contents)

/etc
/home/cmolina/source
/home/cmolina
/var/spool

The problem is that rsync rejects to take it, because I have the - home/
directive on the include file. The conclusion, rsync takes the exclude/
include mechanism recursively. If rsync see that /home is exclude, it
"marks" this directory and exclude all the /home dir and it's subdirs.

Any one can help me on a rule that permit me exclude anything, but
permit me the followings dirs (and sub dirs)

/etc
/home/cmolina/source
/home/cmolina
/var/spool

On resume, exclude all, but include the specified.

Thanks a lot.

PD: I see a patch on the list that propose to use regexp with rsync.
Will you include it on the following releases...??