(fwd from david@interactiveinstitute.se) Bugs in rsync

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Nov 20 02:03:01 EST 2002

Good of Martin to forward this where it belongs.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:36:30PM -0800, Martin Pool wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from David Jonsson <david at interactiveinstitute.se> -----
>
> From: David Jonsson <david at interactiveinstitute.se>
> Subject: Bugs in rsync
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:38:59 +0200 (CEST)
> To: Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org>, Andrew Tridgell <tridge at samba.org>
>
> First, Thansk for a great tool!
>
> I run rsync supplied with RedHat 7.3
>  rsync --version
> rsync  version 2.5.4  protocol version 26
> Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
> <http://rsync.samba.org/>
> Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
> IPv6,
>               64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
>

> and I experience the followinf errors when I issue this command
> rsync -a --delete * /mnt/navhdb2
>
> 1.
> Files beginning with . will not get deleted at the destination if they
> don't exist in the source. (I detected that i leaves erased .forward
> files)

I assume the .forward file is in the CWD.  You arent syncing
the current directory, you are syncing files and subdirs
that match the * pattern (expanded by the shell).  You
should find that no dot files at the top level are being
synced.

Try it again with
	 rsync -a --delete . /mnt/navhdb2/
or
	 rsync -a --delete ./ /mnt/navhdb2/

That will actually syncronize the directory or all files and
subdirs therein.

> 2.
> I hade replaced a directory with a symbolic link at the source but the
> destination kept the directory.

Use the --force option.  This appears to be one of the
"obscure cases".

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt