SPAM on List...

Tapani Tarvainen tt at it.jyu.fi
Sun Nov 17 09:16:00 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 11:50:00PM +0100, Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> The last spam originates from a computer
> listed in RBL ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org
>

> I don't think that any regular would have any problem
> if emails from boxes listed as "RfC Ignorant" are rejected, or?

I don't know who counts as "regular", but that would've rejected
quite a few useful messages in the past month. For example,
top-level domains .uk, .se, .fi and .ws are listed, as indeed about
half of Europe. My present address would thus also be blocked,
even though "jyu.fi" has always had perfect whois info in RIPE,
but rfc-ignorant.org doesn't accept that because it's not
maintained by .fi registrar.

The postmaster, abuse and DSN lists would be more useful, but even
they are problematic - I gave up using them here a while back because
of increasing number of false positives (sites whose problems had been
fixed ages ago but still listed at rfc-ignorant.org).

I would recommend against using rfc-ignorant.org on the list.

--
Tapani Tarvainen