Speed tests

jp at pour.midcoast.com jp at pour.midcoast.com
Fri Nov 15 16:56:01 EST 2002

> Hi all
>
> I hope no one minds but I was asked to post my timetrial findings back
> to the list.
> Hope it helps someone else as well, if you have any suggestions please
> mention them as I need all the speed that I can get
>
> The scenaro is as follows
> I have to switch mail servers and I need to copy all my mbox files over
> to the new machine.
> As you may well know time if off the utmost importance so I need to do
> things as quickly as possible, we are an ISP so we cannot have people
> offline for to long.
> I have from 12:00 to 5:00 in the morning
> I conducted some tests to see what will be the most effecient to copy
> the data over with and tried to simulate the enviroment as closely as
> possible but on a smaller scale.
> Here are my results

We recently moved things to a new mailserver as well. It was at the other
end of an 8Meg wireless link with 6Megs already in use, so we couldn't zap
the mailspools (5GB) over in 10-20 minutes like you.

I redirected incomning mail to the new server, shut down POP3 on the old
one, forwarded pop3 request with simpleproxy from the old pop server to
the new one. Then transferred the files with rsync (with the z option in
my case) to the new server into a temporary directory. Since we changed
from /var/spool/mail/username to /home/username/Mailbox, I wrote a little
script that appended with cat the username named mailbox to
/home/username/Mailbox.

Then when the cutover time came, I switched hostnames around and shut down
sendmail and pop3 on the old server.

So during this transition (which I did during the day and evening!),
people could not access old delivered email, but could stil send and
receive new email messages.