Speed problem

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Nov 13 19:01:04 EST 2002

I agree, rsh as root is bad.  I wouldn't suggest that.  I'm talking about
running "rsync --daemon", using /etc/rsyncd.conf to control the form of
the access.  It's pretty good for reading, and mostly works for writing.
Oh, on our security - no ssh, but rsh is ok for root.  I'm also
exaggerating a bit on the reason we don't have ssh.  I just can't convince
the decision makers that it is important to have it and that rsh is
leaving them buck naked to being 0wnz0r3d.  Oh, well, it makes it easy for
me to get root in an emergency, and so far, we can trust everybody on our
network.

Tim Conway
conway.tim at spilihp.com reorder name and reverse domain
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

uwp at dicke-aersche.de
Sent by: uwp at quatar.philips.com
11/11/02 01:45 PM