Speed tests

Mozzi linux at mostert.nom.za
Wed Nov 13 11:26:00 EST 2002

Hi all

I hope no one minds but I was asked to post my timetrial findings back
to the list.
Hope it helps someone else as well, if you have any suggestions please
mention them as I need all the speed that I can get

The scenaro is as follows
I have to switch mail servers and I need to copy all my mbox files over
to the new machine.
As you may well know time if off the utmost importance so I need to do
things as quickly as possible, we are an ISP so we cannot have people
offline for to long.
I have from 12:00 to 5:00 in the morning
I conducted some tests to see what will be the most effecient to copy
the data over with and tried to simulate the enviroment as closely as
possible but on a smaller scale.
Here are my results

Smaller test(not whole directory)
All test were done with the same set of files that I put in a special
directory for the test
there are 4593 files in the dir with a total size of 3.3G
All tests were done from the same two machines in the same direction,I
just changed the options
It was done on two Gigabit nic's with a crosover cable so network usage
and speed were effectively
not a factor.
I also tested tar but that took to long
scp failed misserably
I didn't test ftp at all as I cannot see that it will be faster

time rsync -pogrve 'ssh -c arcfour' /var/spool/mqueue/testwind
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail

wrote 3429040714 bytes  read 73492 bytes  5287762.85 bytes/sec
total size is 3428390423  speedup is 1.00

real    10m48.081s
user    3m1.530s
sys     1m56.540s

time rsync -pogrve ssh  /var/spool/mqueue/testwind
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail

wrote 3429040714 bytes  read 73492 bytes  3820740.06 bytes/sec
total size is 3428390423  speedup is 1.00

real    14m56.454s
user    4m58.250s
sys     2m5.180s
[root at ais-mail01 spool]#

[root at ais-mail01 spool]# scp /var/spool/mqueue/testwind/*
10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail
bash: /usr/bin/scp: Argument list too long
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/stefaans
[root at ais-mail01 spool]#

time tar -cvzf sendmail.tgz *

real    34m13.435s
user    14m17.790s
sys     2m15.140s

time rsync -arve ssh  /var/spool/mqueue/testwind
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail

wrote 3429040714 bytes  read 73492 bytes  4410436.28 bytes/sec
total size is 3428390423  speedup is 1.00

real    12m57.454s
user    4m56.800s
sys     1m56.860s

time rsync -arve 'ssh -c arcfour'  /var/spool/mqueue/testwind
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail

real    9m51.771s
user    2m55.240s
sys     1m52.290s
[root at ais-mail01 spool]#

Mozzi

--
  _
( )	Ascii ribbon campaign against html email