many files filelist problem

Mozzi linux at mostert.nom.za
Tue Nov 12 13:26:00 EST 2002

Hi all

I am still busy with my copy of the /var/spool/mail direcroty

I gave it this command
[root at ais-mail01 root]# time rsync -pogrve ssh /var/spool/mail
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail/
root at 10.0.0.9's password:
building file list ...

As top shows me it has been going 85 mins now building the filelist
I recon there are about 80 000 files in that directory totaling 50Gig

I was wondering is it beacause of the many files that it takes so long
or is it beacause the files continually change that maybe it has a
problem verifying the files ?
Is there a way that I can bypass this and just do a direct copy so to speak?

I used these commands previuasely without success

[root at ais-mail01 root]# time rsync -pogve ssh /var/spool/mail/*
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail/
bash: /usr/bin/rsync: Argument list too long

real    0m10.777s
user    0m3.710s
sys     0m0.140s
[root at ais-mail01 root]# time rsync -pogve ssh /var/spool/mail
root at 10.0.0.9:/var/spool/mail/
root at 10.0.0.9's password:
skipping directory /var/spool/mail
wrote 25 bytes  read 20 bytes  12.86 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

real    0m3.727s
user    0m0.280s
sys     0m0.030s

Tnx

Mozzi

--
  _
( )	Ascii ribbon campaign against html email