Speed problem

uwp at dicke-aersche.de uwp at dicke-aersche.de
Tue Nov 12 11:07:01 EST 2002

Ok, now I found something. When the effect of heavy speed drop occurs,
it doesn't seem to send much bytes anymore. Block-in rate on the receiving
side drops dramatically from 31000/s to 5000/every 4-8 seconds (which
results to a rate of nearly 1 MB/s, that's what I got in the end).

CPU load goes down on both sides. It seems as if the rsync process simply
don't do anything any further.

At the beginning sending and receiving side both dealing with 37000 blocks/s
and after a while the sending side just begin to do only 19000 blocks/s for
4 or 5 seconds. After that 4 or 5 seconds 0 blocks/s and again 19000 b/s.
And after some minutes it goes down to 14000 and the time between sending
out the blocks will get higher, which means: more zero b/s.

Very strange effect. It's as if there's someone who pulls the plug very
softly...

To be sure that it's not the system I did the same with scp: everything
was fine, blocks have been send out linear and got linear in and onto the
disk. No speed drops, no pauses, no pulling the plug.

Mermgfurt,
		Udo

--
Udo Wolter                      |  /"\