offline rsync

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 7 22:25:04 EST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:09:42PM +0100, Franco Bagnoli wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Donovan Baarda wrote:
>
> > rdiff, part of librsync. There is also pysync, but it's much slower (but
> > easier to understand/modify).
>
> I know I'm sloppy, but the documentation with rdiff is rather poor. Is
> there a lengthier explanation somewhere?

There is a manpage with rdiff that explains how to use it. On Debian systems
just install the rdiff deb. Be aware though that the 0.9.5 version of
rdiff/librsync has a bug that results in larger than necisary delta's. The
CVS for the librsync project on SF has a much better version in it.

> Moreover, since the synchronization stuff I'm looking for will end into a
> perl script, has anybody developed an equivalent of pysync in perl? I've
> found nothing on cpan.

I think someone has written a perl interface to librsync... have a search of
the rproxy project list archive on SF (the librsync project started as part
of the rproxy project).