2.5.6 release

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Nov 6 17:48:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 11:26:57PM +0900, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@ wrote:
> In article <20021105174502.GA26028 at pegasys.ws> (at Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:45:02 -0800), jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> says:
>
> > > I think there really have been no commits since then:
> > >
> > >   http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/rsync/?sortby=date#dirlist
> > >
> > > We are all slackers and/or overworked. :-(
> > >
> > > I did see your Stratus (sp?) patch, and it looks harmless and useful.
> > > I have a lot on at the moment but I don't mind merging it when I or
> > > somebody else gets a chance.
> >
> > This might be a good time for tagging 2.5.6 perhaps.  A fair
> > number of bugfixes have gone in, popt updates, and a few new
> > features.  It has been stable for about 2 months.  Unless
>
> Please apply my IPv6 ACL patch.
> This is very important for ipv6-enabled environment.

Rsync CVS has been stable for about 2 months.  This appears
to be new functionality.  We make the release and then you
can argue for inclusion in 2.5.7.  This patch has had no
discussion or justification.

Some of us are not familiar with IPv6.  I know i'm not.
Your earlier posting is the first i had heard of an IPv6
ACL.  I've heard of ACLs for filesystems and for system
resources but not for a networking layer such that a normal
networking program would need to know about.

Next time you submit your patch (in it's own thread) please
include a paragraph or two illuminating us IPv4 paupers what
it is.  I'm guessing it does have to do with rsyncd but it
seems odd to me there would be no changes in rsyncd.conf.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt