restricting rsync over ssh

Brian D. Hamm bdhamm at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 29 12:59:37 EST 2002

Here is the rsync_wrapper I assembled to meet our needs.  This locks
down access by evaluating each ARG individually and only allowing
specific rsync commands against this account.  I understand that this
may need to change with versions of rsync but the way it is written
makes it easy to debug and modify. OS: Solaris 8, Perl v5.6.1, RSYNC
v2.5.5

No harsh programming statements please this was my first crack at Perl
:)

Pointing out any obvious security holes would be welcome, since that is
was the script was trying to eliminate.

#!/usr/bin/perl

$TRUE  = (0 == 0);
$FALSE = (0 == 1);

open (SSHOUT, "+>>/home/admin/ssh.out");

$now = localtime;

# Since this script is called as a forced command, need to get the
# original rsync command given by the client.

($command = $ENV{SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND})
 || print SSHOUT ("$now environment variable SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND not
set");

# Log the command for tracking and debugging purposes
print SSHOUT ("$now EVALUATING: $command\n");

# Split the command string to make an argument list
# Evaluate each argument separately for exactness
# this will allow easy addition of future rsync calls
# See ARG[3] test for testing multiple possibilities per ARG
#
# Accepted rsync calls are as follows:
# rsync --server --sender -vvvulogDtprz . /var/log/*.mmddyy.gz
# rsync --server --sender -ulogDtprz . /var/log/*.mmddyy.gz

@rsync_argv = split /[ \t]+/, $command;
$ok = $TRUE;

# ARG[0] Complain if the command is not "rsync".
unless ($rsync_argv[0] eq 'rsync') {
   print SSHOUT ("ssh authorized_key account restricted: only rsync
allowed\n");
   $ok = $FALSE;
}

# ARG[1] Complain if this arg is not --server
unless ($rsync_argv[1] eq '--server') {
   print SSHOUT ("ARG[1] Failure\n");
   $ok = $FALSE;
}

# ARG[2] Complain if this arg is not --sender
unless ($rsync_argv[2] eq '--sender') {
   print SSHOUT ("ARG[2] Failure\n");
   $ok = $FALSE;
}

# ARG[3] Complain if this arg is not -vvvulogDtprz or -ulogDtprz
unless (($rsync_argv[3] eq '-vvvulogDtprz') ||
        ($rsync_argv[3] eq '-ulogDtprz')) {
   print SSHOUT ("ARG[3] Failure\n");
   $ok = $FALSE;
}

# ARG[4] Complain if this arg is not .
unless ($rsync_argv[4] eq '.') {
   print SSHOUT ("ARG[4] Failure\n");
   $ok = $FALSE;
}

# ARG[5] Complain if this arg does not begin with /var/log/
# SECURITY ISSUE: need to lock down further, /var/log/../../otherdir
would succeed
$log_substr = substr ("$rsync_argv[5]", 0, 16);
unless ($log_substr eq '/var/log/rotate/') {
   print SSHOUT ("ARG[5] Failure\n");
   $ok = $FALSE;
}

#print SSHOUT ("ARG0 = $rsync_argv[0]\n");
#print SSHOUT ("ARG1 = $rsync_argv[1]\n");
#print SSHOUT ("ARG2 = $rsync_argv[2]\n");
#print SSHOUT ("ARG3 = $rsync_argv[3]\n");
#print SSHOUT ("ARG4 = $rsync_argv[4]\n");
#print SSHOUT ("ARG5 = $rsync_argv[5]\n");

# If we're OK, run the rsync
$now = localtime;
if ( $ok ) {
        print SSHOUT ("$now RSYNC REQUEST PASSED INSPECTION - INITIATING
RSYNC\n");

  # Interesting issue here, printing is queued until file is closed
  # if rsync fails and exits out of the script earlier input would never
  # be seen. In fact 'exec' call was replaced with 'system' call for the
  # reason that exec did not return to the shell and the print output
was
  # never seen because the close was never reached.

  # close and reopen output file to empty print queue to this point
        close (SSHOUT); open (SSHOUT, "+>>/home/admin/ssh.out");

#remove the first argument which is the rsync command and use absolute
path
        shift @rsync_argv;
        system ("/usr/bin/rsync @rsync_argv");

        $now = localtime;
        print SSHOUT ("$now RSYNC COMPLETE\n\n");
} else {
        print SSHOUT ("$now RSYNC REQUEST FAILED INSPECTION - SKIPPING
RSYNC\n\n"); }

close (SSHOUT);

Brian D. Hamm, CISSP, CCNA
Network Design & Implementation