Compressed backup

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri May 24 14:45:01 EST 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 12:47:00PM -0700, Matthias Munnich wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using rsync for backup on the disks of a Linux backup server.
> Obviously the server could store more data it the data were
> compressed. I read the "rsync -> tar" thread. Unfortunately, a
> compressed file system for Linuthere does not seem to exist yet.
> However, rsync can use compression for file transfer.
>
> Would it be possible to implement an option to store the data on the
> backup server in the compressed chunks use for the file transfer?
> It would save space and should also speedup a later rsynchronization.

Despite what it's homepage says, from what i gather e2compr
is in active development and a fair number of people are
using it.  Try searching thre recent (last 8 weeks) lkml
archives to find out where it has moved.

If you are attempting compression in order to store multiple
backup "snapshots" take a look at linking them.  I do so
using an rsync patch (--link-dest) and on a fairly active
area get the same effect as 7:1 compression but without
actually compressing anything.  Less active trees will
require even less space.  The patch, as well as the Dirvish
backup system can be had at http:www.pegasys.ws/dirvish/

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt