Does the rsync/xdelta algorithm *need* to write a new file?

Josh MacDonald jmacd at CS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu May 23 07:32:01 EST 2002

Arthur,

I've added Randal Burns to the CC list on this reply.  He has done
a lot of great research on in-place delta updates and will be
happy to provide further details, I'm sure.  Short summary: You
can translate a traditional delta to be applied in-place with minor
loss of compression.

-josh

Quoting Arthur van Leeuwen (arthurvl at xos.nl):

--