Compressed backup

Matthias Munnich munnich at atmos.ucla.edu
Wed May 22 13:16:02 EST 2002

Hi

I am using rsync for backup on the disks of a Linux backup server.
Obviously the server could store more data it the data were
compressed. I read the "rsync -> tar" thread. Unfortunately, a
compressed file system for Linuthere does not seem to exist yet.
However, rsync can use compression for file transfer.

Would it be possible to implement an option to store the data on the
backup server in the compressed chunks use for the file transfer?
It would save space and should also speedup a later rsynchronization.

Matt