Fwd: rsync backup hangs at boot

John Griessen john_g at cibolo.com
Mon May 20 13:49:07 EST 2002

found that rsync 2.50 packaged as openPKG   rsync-2.5.0-1.0.1.src.rpm
had this problem when compiled with redhat gcc 2.96

Subject: rsync backup hangs at boot
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:10:55 -0500
From: John Griessen <john_g at cibolo.com>
To: <rsync at lists.samba.org>

rsync seems to work fine copying from the running system.   Files match as
far as a random check.      I've been hoping to simplify life by rsyncing
from the running system to have a bootable backup.    Most conversations on
the list suggest this is easy, and I've gotten it to happen, and now I've
forgotten to do some detail....   ( /etc/fstab is corrected to refer to the
device name of the drive that is booted by grub)

here is my output and rsync script:

from dmesg:
everything was fine until
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
Freeing unused kernel memory: 236k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected