rsync 2.5.5 w/ HFS+ support for OS X

Kevin Alexander Boyd kboyd at umich.edu
Sun May 19 11:09:02 EST 2002

Hi,

As of this release, HFS+ filesystem support for rsync is provided only
when the client and server are HFS+ volumes.  Apple ships all of its
machines by default with its OS on top of HFS+.  Apple also recommends
only running its server products on top of HFS+ volumes.

In order to support non-HFS+ volumes, the machine that would potentially
send files across the network (from HFS+) would need to first encode the
file into '.applesingle' format.  Also, a receiving machine (to HFS+)
would need to detect incoming '.applesingle' files and decode them.

Interesting concepts, and this form of cross-platform support of rsync for
HFS+ volumes could be implemented.

Kevin Boyd
OS X Deployment Coordinator
Sys Adm UMIT Contract Services