rsynch related question

Umadevi C Reddy rumadevi at in.ibm.com
Fri May 17 11:14:14 EST 2002

Hi

Thanks for info.
Let me clear what I want to achieve from this.
Right now first1(/afs/tr/software ) is running has a master and a period of
time second1(/afs/ddc/software) will take over, after that first1 will not
exists. I am in the process of transition work. Currently first1 is owned
by some one else and second1 is, we are going to maintain in the future.
One solution is I can cutover and transfer directly, but it is not
immediate and mean time I should see how it works on second1 environment
and for that purpose I am started maintaining second1( need to modify
hardcode paths and things like that) and also I would like to reflect
changes made in first1. So thinking of using rsync.

Now you can give suggestion, which one is feasible?
Thanks a lot

Warm regards,
Uma
IBM Pittsburgh, 11 Stanwix Street, Pittsburgh, PA  15222
Tel: (412) 667-3121
e-mail: rumadevi at in.ibm.com

                    tim.conway at phi
                    lips.com             To:     Umadevi C Reddy/India/IBM at IBMIN
                                         cc:     rsync at lists.samba.org
                    05/17/2002           Subject:     Re: rsynch related question
                    01:34 PM
                    Please respond
                    to tim.conway

Doesn't AFS do inter-cell communication?  Why not just have first1 -
/afs/tr/software be the RW replica, and  second1 -
/afs/ddc/software be a RO replica?  You just release them all instead of
messing with rsync
at all?  With the source constantly changing, you'll generate a lot fewer
errors that way, and it'll be a lot easier on your resources.

If AFS can't do this, I apologize for the useless info.  My experience is
with IBM/TransARC DCE/DFS (and that's almost 2 years stale).

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Umadevi C Reddy" <rumadevi at in.ibm.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org