Rsync dies

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri May 17 10:46:16 EST 2002

Yeah.  You'll have to find a way to break the job up into smaller pieces.
It's a pain, but I have a similar situation - 3M+ files in 130+Gb.  I
can't get the whole thing in one chunk, no matter how fast a server with
however much memory, even on Gb ethernet (for the server).  In my case,
the filesystem is on NAS, and the NAS has only 100bT simplex (half-duplex,
to some).
I have some code that can be used to analyze your system before the sync,
and choose directories containing no more than a maximum number of items
below them.  Iterating through the list and using -R can let you get the
whole thing run, though --delete and -H become less certain (not
dangerous, but if you don't name anything containing a deleted directory
because it didn't come up on your list, youll never tell the destination
to delete it, and if you have two hard links to the same file, but hit
them in two seperate runs, you now have two copies on disk).
Let me know if you want it.  I'm sure you can figure how to modify it for
your environment.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"C.Zimmermann" <clemens at prz.tu-berlin.de>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org