Problems with the rsync command line syntax for multiple files

Peter Møller Neergaard turtle at achilles.linearity.org
Mon May 13 10:46:02 EST 2002

I feel completely stupid for asking this question, but I have an
essential problem of getting the syntax right for synchronizing
multiple files.  I am trying to use rsync to synchronize files
generated in one directory with our public directory our web server.
We have a number of files with the extension html so I have tried the
following command line:

  rsync  *.html /cs/church-data/www/root/reports

I would expected it to match the third line from the usage:

  Usage: rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... [USER@]HOST:DEST
    or   rsync [OPTION]... [USER@]HOST:SRC DEST
    or   rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... DEST

but it results in rsync printing the usage information.  I also tried

  rsync Wells:TUFE-1996.html Wells:UMSR-1995.html /cs/church-data/www/root/reports/
  rsync Home.html /cs/church-data/www/root/reports

and only the latter work.  So it appears that rsync has trouble
parsing more than one parameter as source.  Is this correct, or am I
overlooking some completely obvious?

I am running rsync version 2.4.5 on a Sun Solaris machine:

  types:/<4>wwwreports-dont-edit/bibtex2html > rsync -v
  rsync version 2.4.5 Copyright Andrew Tridgell and Paul Mackerras

  rsync is a file transfer program capable of efficient remote update
  via a fast differencing algorithm.

Thanks in advance

Peter
--
http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,