rsync 2.5.5 and the exclude directive - additional behavior

pyxl pyxl at jerrell.com
Mon May 13 07:14:02 EST 2002

And, I've found more.

It turns out that even though the exclude directive is ignored for
inbound data in rsyncd.conf, it is NOT ignored for the --delete option.
 I've seen this behavior occur when I've deleted a file from the sending
side (client) that is inside a tree that's matched by the server-side
(rsyncd) exclude directive.  The deletion is ignored, as the
documenation indicates that it should be.

This leads me to believe that outbound-data-only exclusion operation is
probably a bug, because the exclude directive *is* operational for
inbound data to an rsyncd server when the --delete option is used on the
client side, and this unidirectional behavior is not noted in the
documentation.

Anyways, that's that.  More excitement. :)

Scott