bug report

terrell Larson terr at terralogic.net
Fri May 10 11:44:01 EST 2002

I'm new to this list and I hope this is the proper way to submit a bug.  If not then please advise.  Also I'm not a list subscriber so please email me directly and cc the list if appropriate.

I beleive I have found a bug in rsync.  It is reproducable and easy to confirm.

summary:
=======

If rsync is directed to copy a directory tree into another machine and the target directory does not exist then rsync will not create the required path and instead issues this message:

mkdir failure:  No such file or directory

example:
=======

rsync -av --progress -e "ssh -1" /etc/           $1:/altsync/$HOSTNAME/etc

This example is being called from a bash shell.  $1 is the name of the target machine and the idea is that several machines will be backed up to the chosen target with the following directory
structure:

/altsync/hostname1/etc
/altsync/hostname2/etc
/altsync/hostname3/etc

If the target "hostname" directory exists, then rsync runs.  If the target "hostname" directory does not exist, rather than creating it, rsync bombs because the mkdir for "~/hostname/etc" fails.

reproducable:

Yes

documentation shortcomming:

The above form of the -e option is not documented.   IMHO it should be.