rsync 2.5.5 - Utilizing "exclude from" in rsync.conf

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu May 9 11:58:02 EST 2002

I'm sorry I took so long to reply.  Your message got lost among others.

It never occured to me before, but the answer is that those excluded
patterns only apply to files sent from a daemon, not those sent to it.
I'm afraid you'll have to specify the exclude patterns on the client side.
I will change the rsyncd.conf man page.

Really the rsync daemon mode was primarily intended to send things like an
http server does, and there's quite a number of subtle ways that it does
not work well when on the receiving end.  I usually try to discourage
people from doing it.

- Dave Dykstra