Password Authentication

Matthew Simpson msimpson at market-research.com
Wed May 8 16:41:01 EST 2002

Hi Tim,

I have setup rsync as you suggestion for password authentication but
I get auth failed on module, see below.

$ rsync -vrtuz  --password-file=~.rsyncpw --delete
projects at host.dyndns.org::projects /home/projects/

password file must not be other-accessible
continuing without password file
Password:
@ERROR: auth failed on module projects

/home/simpson/.rsyncpw
-rw-rw-r--    1 simpson simpson 8 Apr 29 22:51 .rsyncpw

On the server side:
/etc/rsyncd.conf
uid = matt
gid = matt
[projects]
auth users = projects
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
path=/home/projects
read only=false

/etc/rsyncd.secrets
projects:abcd
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           29 May  8 16:27 /etc/rsyncd.secrets

Thanks for your help. Any clues?

Matt