Send Password with RSYNC_PASSWORD ore --password-file

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 4 13:03:01 EST 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Manfred Gnaedig wrote:
> If i use this
> rsync -varpog -e ssh --stats /home/www/web6
> 217.172.xxx.xxx:/home/www/web6 --password-file=host1.pwd
> the Server is asking me too fore Passwort.

Ssh is asking you for the password.  However, the --password-file option
(as well as the RSYNC_PASSWORD environment variable) only affects
transfers to an rsync daemon, which you are not using (the rsync daemon
syntax requires 2 colons after the hostname).

So, you either need to switch over to using an rsync daemon (and leave
the "-e ssh" option off), or you need to setup ssh so that it doesn't
prompt you for a password (testing it w/o rsync first is easiest).

One way to setup ssh is to enable an RSA authorized key on the server
you're connecting to.  Look for the discussion of the files identity,
identity.pub, and authorized_keys.