Newbie question on Rsync on Solaris

Crisler, Jon JCrisler at corvis.com
Fri May 3 09:49:03 EST 2002

I want to replicate between two Solaris hosts.  The source is Solaris 2.6
and the target is Solaris 2.8.  Using rsh, the basic program seems fine (not
running in daemon mode), but I have a problem.

 The directory tree is about 150,000 files, with about 5 gb of data.    I
tar'd the directory and moved it to the other side, but when I run an rsync
against that directory, it still wants to move the entire collection !!
Since 99% of the files have not changed since the tar, it should only find
about 50 mb of differences.   Here is what I am doing....

 On source, run:

rsync -rvutogp -n --delete --stats --progress \
--exclude-from=/utils/exc_rsync_applcsf.txt \
--rsync-path=/usr/local/bin \
/data/u01/app/applmgr/product/1102/prd \
remoteuser at remotehost:/data/u01/app/applmgr/product/1102/prd

The exclude file is:

/data/u01/app/applmgr/product/1102/prd/common/PRD/log/*
/data/u01/app/applmgr/product/1102/prd/common/PRD/out/*

 Other info:  usernames, uid and gid are the same on both systems.  rsync
2.5.4 installed in /usr/local/bin on both systems.
 Any clues ?   I plan to try to sync the entire directory once per day, and
two smaller directories every 15 minutes.

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments may
constitute Corvis Corporation Proprietary Information that is subject to
Non-Disclosure Agreement and cannot be disclosed to any other party without
the express consent of  Corvis Corporation.  If you are neither the intended
recipient of this e-mail nor responsible for delivering this e-mail to the
intended recipient, note that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or
retention of this e-mail is prohibited.  If you believe you have received
this e-mail in error, we request that you notify the sender by return e-mail
and then delete this e-mail  and any return e-mail immediately.