date of new directories

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed May 1 08:35:02 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:55:05PM -0700, Ian Kettleborough wrote:
> Does rsync-2.5.5 (and ealier versions) seems to have a problem with an open
> socket?
>
> I finally figured out which socket to exclude.
>
> Now I get an mknod error message the first time I run rsync and the second
> time it runs to completion.
>
> I did know of a netstat (I think) that would show the open sockets, but I
> have to admit I forget..
>
> Anyway..any ideas?
>
> Running Freebsd 4.4.
>
> Thanks
> Ian

You must be talking about Unix-domain sockets, and all I remember seeing in
netstat is IP sockets.  I expect what you're seeing is a BSD-only issue
because System V-based systems such as Solaris use a library for Unix-domain
sockets which end up creating a named pipe.  Could you give us a simple set
of commands and a simple program to open a socket which reproduces your
problem?  That would help to debug the problem.  I don't have freebsd, but
if you make the simple test case I could try it on the systems I do have to
see if any of them exhibit the problem.

- Dave