switch server/client mode...

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed May 1 07:37:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 03:56:14PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> Hello
>
> [I am not on this mailing list, please use CC:, Thanks]
>

> On the debian mailing list, we have a discussion about rsync.
> See
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg00700.html
> and replys. Maybe this mail
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00757.html
> is also interestingly.
>
> Have rsync a Option to switch the calculation of the block checksums to
> the server and move the real work to the client?
>
> I have shown in the source code and found a unused(?) Option '--sender'.
> Can you explain this option?

I read the followup discussion to your question quite late, so that's why I
didn't reply sooner, but I don't believe anybody ever answered your
question about "--sender".  That is not an unused option, it is just an
undocumented internal option.  It is passed from client to server to tell
the server that it is to send files to the client.

- Dave Dykstra