fixes for bugs in error handling in rsync-2.5.2; and updates for rsync3.txt

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Mar 27 17:25:07 EST 2002

Hi, thanks for the patch and comments on rsync3.  I'm in the process
of committing these patches to the 2.6.0 branch.

I want to get a stable 2.5 out to give people some relief for the
recent burst of fixes, and I think in this case it's probably better
to live with the devil we know.

> *** main.c	6 Feb 2002 21:20:49 -0000	1.140
> ***************
> *** 880,887 ****
>
>   	ret = start_client(argc, argv);
>   	if (ret == -1)
> ! 	    exit_cleanup(RERR_STARTCLIENT);
>   	else
> ! 	    exit_cleanup(ret);
> ! 	return ret;
>   }
>
>   	ret = start_client(argc, argv);
>   	if (ret == -1)
> ! 		exit_cleanup(RERR_STARTCLIENT);
>   	else
> ! 		exit_cleanup(ret);
> !
> ! 	exit(ret);
> ! 	/* NOTREACHED */
>   }

Is the change to call exit() rather than returning from main meant to
change behaviour, or is it just for consistency?

I liked your ideas about detecting renamed files.  Because we pipeline
signature generation at the moment, it would not be straightforward to
implement but it might well be possible.

--
Martin