moving from 1 server to another

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Mar 26 10:02:43 EST 2002

On 25 Mar 2002, Gary Peltola <clist at www-hosting.net> wrote:
> I got a crappy server, the 2nd server is online with a basic RH 7.2 install (server1 is idential...7.2) with ssh installed
>
> can someone give me some instructions on what i do from this point
> on, bascially i need to copy all of the contents of server1 to
> server2 via ssh

Well, very basically, you just need to decide which directories you
need to mirror, and then

  server1# rsync -avP /home root at server2:/

Be careful that there is no trailing slash on the first path, or the
contents of /home will be dumped in the other machine's root
directory.

It's simpler not to copy the system directories (/usr, /sbin, /var,
...) if the second machine is already installed.

If you want to exclude e.g. backup files, then

  server1# rsync -avP --exclude '*~' /home root at server2:/

Beyond that, read the fine manual.

--
Martin