(fwd from uke@jeremy.org) thanks and patch

jeremy bornstein uke at jeremy.org
Fri Mar 22 04:42:21 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:24:07AM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> Oh, I see, you want to use your new --date-only option on the first pass
> when you're determining which files to transfer, before you encrypt them.

Yes!

> I guess that makes sense; I can't think of another easy to do what you want
> to do.  Pretty obscure case though.

Obscure now, but I expect not forever.

If you consider it desirable for rsync to be able to do this task
(encrypted backups on untrusted servers) all by itself, all it needs
in addition to the --date-only option is the ability to accept a
user-specified filter for each file to be transferred.  If I were to
make a patch for that, I don't suppose you'd want it?

It'd still need an encrypting filter, but that's essentially a one
line sample that could be included in the docs.  (For symmetric
encryption anyway.)

-j