Incremental Diffs?

Alberto Accomazzi aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 8 07:37:00 EST 2002

In message <Pine.BSF.4.44.0203071232550.34044-100000 at jinx.unknown.nu>, Kim Scarborough writes:

> > > I'm using it to backup files from one computer to another, and it
> > > works exactly as I thought it would, except that it seems to be
> > > copying entire files over when they've change rather than the
> > > differences.
> >
> > What specifically leads you to that conclusion?
>
> I have it set to extra verbose, and I've been watching the files transfer
> over. When I append 2K to a 100MB text file and re-rsync, it's pretty
> obvious it's transferring 100MB, not 2K + whatever overhead the diff takes
> up.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Add the option --stats to the rsync command line
and see what it says.  AFAIK those numbers are correct.

-- Alberto

Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.edu
60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA