Mirroring a server

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Mar 5 12:50:33 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Carl Flippin wrote:

> I'm trying to use rsync to mirror an entire FreeBSD 4.5 server. This includes the
> kernel and quite a few other system level files. As one might expect, rsync hangs
> when it tries to copy the kernel file. Has anyone had success with this kind of
> setup?

Are you REALLY sure it is hung?? I rsync the bulk of the Red Hat site
every 6 hours. This is also what I used for the initial whack and it
worked flawlessly. It can look hung but in my experience it is just
working it's magic.

Also FWIW I also do a partial of kernel.org (the 2.2 and 2.4 tree + people)
so I am doing kernel updates every night.

here is my command line:
# rsync -avH --partial --delete --delete-excluded --exclude-from=$EXCLUDE_FILE \
	path_to_source_tree/ destination.

HTH,

--
......Tom		CLUELESSNESS: There Are No Stupid Questions, But
tdiehl at rogueind.com	There Are LOTS of Inquisitive Idiots. :-)