Rsync ssh script execution fails under cron?

Jeff Hill jhill at hrpost.com
Wed Jun 26 08:22:12 EST 2002

Guess I was rushing a bit too much. I did get the source command in right
in one of my tests, but not another. For some reason, it still fails when I
put it in root cron, but it does now work with the system crontab (where
the user is set as root). I think I'll just accept that oddity and use the
system crontab.

Keychain-ssh-rsync seem like an excellent solution for a number of things
(backups, mirroring, etc), although there is the minimal drawback of
needing to re-enter the passphrase when the machines are rebooted.

Thanks for the assist.

Jeff Hill

At 07:14 PM 24/06/2002 -0500, Michael Procter wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 06:19:51PM -0400, Jeff Hill wrote:
> > Thank's, that's exactly what I'm looking for! -- I think.
> >
> > I've gotten it installed in root (.bashrc and .bash_profile), and I've got
> > it working so that whenever I open a new Xterm, I can ssh to the remote
> > without getting a passphrase request, but . . . the cron script still
> > hangs. From reading the keychain pages, it doesn't seem like I should be
> > starting ssh-agent or ssh-add from the cron-script, but I haven't seen any
> > examples to be sure.
> >
> >  I'd really appreciate it if you could give me an idea what your cron
> > scripts look like. I must not be too far off ;)
> >

>Not much to it:
>
>#!/bin/bash
>source ~/.ssh-agent-aranea
>rsync -avze ssh /opt/mirror nellie:/opt
>
>Maybe it's the "source" you're missing.  Hope that helps.
>--
>Michael Procter
>mprocter at mlug.missouri.edu

----