documentation bug for --daemon "use chroot" in conjunction with -o and -g

Corey Stup Corey at Stup.net
Mon Jun 24 09:15:02 EST 2002

pyxl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Tripped over a documentation bug.  I'm guessing the behavior I've found
> isn't a bug in itself as it's kind of implied by chroot (unless the
> /etc/passwd db is read *before* you do the chroot call), so I'm calling
> it a documentation bug.

I pointed out the same thing a few months ago.

I believe I was told that its in the documentation, I just needed to
know where to look.

The reason it fails is that if chroot is used, the system can no longer
access /etc/passwd (since / has changed)...

I spent hours adding debug and such all over the code to try and find
where it wasn't mapping the uid's.