Exclude

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Jun 19 14:16:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 04:48:11PM +0200, Jean-Hugues BELPOIS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to exclude files using wildcards in the rsyncd.conf, to get
> the same effect of --exclude option in using rsync in client mode ?
> I'm trying to exclude all the ~* *.bak etc... using :
> [systeme]
>     path = /home2
>     read only = no
>     exclude = ~* *.bak *.tmp
>
> And it doesn't work, file are alaways copied.
>
> Is anybody know the solution ?

It depends on the direction you're copying.  The current developer version
of the rsyncd.conf.5 man page says

     exclude
          The "exclude" option allows  you  to  specify  a  space
          separated  list of patterns to add to the exclude list.
          This is equivalent to the client specifying these  pat-
          terns  with  the  --exclude  option,  except  that  the
          exclude list is not passed to the client and thus  only
          applies  on  the  server:  that  is,  it excludes files
          received by a client when receiving from a  server  and
          files deleted on a server when sending to a server, but
          it doesn't exclude files sent from a client when  send-
          ing  to  a  server  or  files  deleted on a client when
          receiving from a server.

- Dave Dykstra