make_file() could ignore ENODEV errors (from afs filesystem)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Jun 18 14:56:02 EST 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:43:56AM +0100, Kevin J Walters wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would it be acceptable to patch make_file() in flist.c to ignore any
> ENODEV's and not mark them as io_error=1?
>
> In afs, a mountpoint to a volume which does not exist gives an
> ENODEV. As such, it can't be copied, so should (or could) just be
> ignored?

Is this a normal situation in afs (I've never used it)?  Can you use
--exclude to skip it?

Do you know if there is precedent in other standard open source tools
to ignore ENODEV?  In general I don't think it's a good idea to ignore
errors.  It might mean something else in a different situation.

> The io_error isn't terminal, but it does disable the delete function
> and you end up with an exit code of 23.

- Dave Dykstra