uninterruptible sleep with rsync 2.5.4
lmonin at metaconcept.com
Wed Jun 12 08:46:03 EST 2002
I've encountered a strange issue, difficult to reproduce for
now. I'm searching from where it comes.
Here are some facts:
- all programs are compiled from sources using gcc 2.95.3/glibc2.2.x
and run on a i686 LFS linux system.
- rsync doesn't run above ssl.
- using rsync 2.5.4 as server to backup mailboxes on another computer.
rsync daemon is launched from xinetd, rsync client from a cron job.
- beside this rsync server, i've got a pop3 daemon that access these
- when mailbox is opened by pop3 and rsync daemons, both processes ends
in uninterruptible sleep.
- When a new rsync client request arrives, another rsync daemon is
launched and goes in uninterruptible sleep too -> reboot is required.
- mailbox is locked by pop3 using fcntl() and F_RDLCK mode.
- pop3 server writes modified mailbox to a temporary file then rename()
it to mailbox name.
What's the behavior of rsync when a file is renamed while it reads it ?
What's the behavior of rsync when a file is removed while it reads it ?
What's the behavior of rsync when a file is modified while it reads it ?
I didn't try with latest rsync version yet and still have difficulties
to reproduce this issue but i would like to have your opinion about
Systèmes & Réseaux
More information about the rsync