Filesystem Permission problems

Leaw, Chern Jian chern.jian.leaw at intel.com
Mon Jun 10 04:44:23 EST 2002

HI,

I would like to copy my file, i.e. test_file.cc on 1 host machine into
another user's home directory i.e /usr/adm/ken_lee/
, on a different host machine. These 2 hosts machines, i.e host1 and host2
are on different NIS domains.

I tried copying my file into the other user's home directory, by invoking
the rsync command on my host machine i.e host1:
# rsync -avzo /usr/oper/oper1/chern/test_file.cc host2:/usr/adm/ken_lee/
(Note that chern is my user name on host1 and host2)

It produced the following error:
rcmd2: socket : The file access permissions do not allow the specified
action.
unexpected EOF in read_timeout

Since I have root priviliges, I've even tried making user ken_lee's home
directory to have 777 access, and the same for my access, but to no avail.

I've also added user chern into host2's /etc/hosts.equiv file by adding the
following entry:
host1  chern
+chern

but it still produced the same error as above. I had also tried the editing
the .rhosts files on host1 and host2 to contain the following:
host1's .rhosts		host2's .rhosts

+ at all chern		+ at all chern
+ at all ken_lee		host1 chern
host2 ken_lee

but it also did not work. I did the same for the root's / .rhosts entry but
it still produced the same error.

I've tried another method of transferring my file i.e test_file.cc from
host1 also, but this time invoking rsync as a root user, still from host1. I
had also added the entries as follows in the /etc/hosts.equiv files of host1
and host2:

host1's /etc/hosts.equiv		host2's /etc/hosts.equiv
-------
host2	ken_lee			host1   root
				host1   chern
				+chern
and rsync did not also work!!

I had tried performing an rsh and rcp into host2 without any passwd prompts
from host2.

I've also ask user ken_lee to instead copy test_file.cc from host1 in my
home directory into his, but it does not work either.

However, if a root user invokes rsync from the destination machine, i.e
host2, then test_file.cc gets copied successfully from host1 to host2. The
reverse, i.e invoking rsync from source machine host1 to copy test_file.cc
into host2 would produce the same permission error !

Could anyone help me out in this problem? Would appreciate it if someone
could provide some light.

Thanks.
Chern