General speed question

Olivier Tarnus olivier.tarnus at skynet.be
Wed Jun 5 14:16:02 EST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 07:03, David Arnold wrote:
> We have some speed/performance issues:
>
> We have a 100M fullduplex private network setup to handle rsync transfers
> to our "mirror" server with a command like:
>
> time rsync -e ssh -avzl --delete --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync \
> 	--exclude ".netscape/cache/" --delete-excluded \
> 	bigserver:/staff1 /mirror/bigserver

Here are your speed problems:
	1- 	If you're really on a private network, you should run rsync as a daemon,
	 	and avoid ssh. This will save many cpu cycles and some bandwidth.
	2- 	With 100 Mbits dedicated to rsync, you shouldn't use compression (-z).
		This will save many cpu cycles too. :-)

Take a look but i'm quite sure that your problems are actually on cpu side and
not on network side...

I'm actually testing rsync on shared 100Mbit switched network and it take less
than 1 minute to synchronize 55G in more than 250 000 files.

Olivier