Strong encryption

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Jun 5 04:53:03 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:22:28PM +0200, C.Zimmermann wrote:

> > >I thought, rsync only looks at the modification date of a file and
> > >decides whether to backup this file or not.
> > >
> > By default, it does not, in fact it's REAL usefullness it's that uit
> > examines the content of the file to send just what is needed,
> > differently from other mirroring software.
>
> But beside this rsync offers the mechanism for incremental mirroring on
> file bases over the network, so I think it makes sence to enhance rsync
> with the encryption option on destination files.

Reread my earliest response on this thread.  An encryption
option would require large changes to the protocol and be a
real nightmare as far as keys are concerned.  If you want
encryption, keep the files on the source encrypted.

> Its better than "tar -cvf - / | pgp | ssh user at destinationhost"

That is like saying a courier service is better than drayage
(cargo hauling).

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt