superlifter design notes (OpenVMS perspective)

Ben Escoto bescoto at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 28 00:11:02 EST 2002

  JS> As a poor example let us suppose that a filename contained a
  JS> "/".  A UNIX system using translation might turn this into "_".
  JS> Escapement might turn it into "=2F" and "=" into "=3D".

rdiff-backup has this feature.  I'm not sure anyone uses it, and it
was a pain to add and to test adequately, especially when the
additional quoting characters push the length of the filename over the
limit.  If I had to do it over I probably would have skipped this
feature (or at least wait until lots of people bothered me about it).

--
Ben Escoto